Friday, November 21, 2008

Thank You, Mr. Falker by Patricia Polacco



If you haven't "met" Patricia Polacco via her books, this is a great place to start! This story is the autobiographical recounting of how Patricia, who struggled with dyslexia, was blessed with a teacher who recognized her difficulty and helped her bridge the gaps between her desire and her reading skills.

I love this book (aside from the fact that it moves me to tears!) because it is based on a TRUE story (my favorite kind of story), and it helps children to understand some of the frustrations that someone with dyslexia (or other learning challenges) might experience. It is also one of those "Why I Want to Be a Teacher" books.

This book has got to be one of my all-time, favorite children's books. You will especially love (or be amazed at, or both) how Patricia's grandfather shares his love of reading with her when she is five. Don't miss this story!

(New York: Philomel Books, 1998)

No comments: