Monday, August 24, 2009

The Candy Shop War by Brandon Mull


We read this book aloud at dinner as a family in 2007. This intriguing, imaginative, full-of-action story kept us wanting to read, so that sometimes we'd read not just at dinner, but whenever we could fit it in. Four children become involved in a magical war in which the main players deal in powerful candy. The plot becomes much more than you ever would expect, just like a gobstopper with a most delicious and unexpected flavor in the middle, and the ending is one of the most creative and enjoyable I've read for a while! 

It's been a while since I read this story, but I do recall thinking that this book was not necessarily for every age group. We also had some conversations as a family about some of the behavior of the children characters. 

Overall, this book is a great, light, fun read. It's especially fun to read together!

1 comment:

Wendi said...

My son and I loved this book as well. :)