Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Peter Pan by Sir J. M. Barrie, art compiled by Cooper Edens (Chronicle Books)



This gorgeous edition of Peter Pan is truly a delight. I love the old art by some famous illustrators such as Arthur Rackham. The text is so charming, particularly to the parent who is reading it aloud. I love, for example, this portion from early on in the story:
Mrs. Darling first heard of Peter Pan when she was tidying up her children's minds. It is the nightly custom of every good mother after her children are asleep to rummage in their minds and put things straight for next morning....
Above all, I must say that I love the feel of the author's evident love of children that is so prominent in the story--his appreciation of imagination, and the need for mothers and adventure and happy times. I don't know much about Sir Barrie, but I can imagine that he most have adored his children, if he had them!
If you love Peter Pan, I believe you will love another of my favorites, Linnets and Valerians by Elizabeth Goudge. She, too, must love children as you feel it in her story.

1 comment:

Wendi said...

I love that quote! :) Thanks for sharing it. And check out these cute pictures of my nephew dressed up as Peter Pan that my sister-in-law posted yesterday:

http://garrgang2.blogspot.com/2009/11/our-little-peter-pan.html