Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Bread and Jam for Frances by Russell Hoban, illustrated by Lillian Hoban


Do you have a child who is a picky eater? Or are you a picky eater? If so, you will probably relate to and laugh along with one of our favorite books, Bread and Jam for Frances. In this story, Frances, who is a badger child, prefers eating bread and jam for every meal that she doesn't like until her mother decides to serve it to her all of the time.

This lovely story (and series of Frances books) is based upon the author and illustrator's experiences with their four children, and they feel quite universal to me as a parent. I love Frances' parents' creativity, wisdom, and patience. I love Frances' personality, and most especially I love the little verses that she make us to sing out her thoughts and feelings, such as,
Poached eggs on toast, why do you shiver
With such a funny little quiver?

Frances reminds me of a child's perspective on life, and how nice it is, when you are a child, to have a mother who will pack you a lunch like Frances' mother did, when she decided that she was ready to branch out from bread and jam again. 


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Bread and Jam for Frances is one of my all-time favorites from childhood. I often read Bread and Jam along with Green Eggs and Ham when one of my boys is going through a picky eating stage. With 4 sons, that is pretty much all of the time.