Saturday, September 29, 2012

The Children's Hour by Henry Wadsworth Longfellow, illustrations by Glenna Lang




I love to read aloud to children, at home and in their school classrooms, and I especially have a fondness for sharing the poetry that my parents shared with me. This book has interesting illustrations that help a child to understand some of the older language and historical references used by Longfellow in the poem, all the while preserving the mirth and love that I think he meant to convey.

I thought of this poem this last summer when a work-at-home father talked about how school would start soon, and he might be able to get some work done with his children back in school. He lamented, at the same time, that he would miss them interrupting him. I think the situation is age-old. This poem is a reminder that children are our most important business. I love it.


No comments: